Saturday, December 10, 2011

Getting to Know Baltic

I first heard about Baltic on "All Things Considered" on NPR.  It was a brief story, recapping his amazing rescue earlier in the week, and concluding with the news that Baltic had been adopted by the crew: he was now an official crew member of the R/V Baltica!

Once I decided to work on a book about Baltic's adventure, I started looking for more information about him.  There were lots of news reports from all over the world, as well as photographs and videos.  Especially helpful were a number of interviews with the Baltica's crew done for Polish television that I had translated into English.  Mr. Paweł Rola, from the Polish Institute of Meteorology and Water Management (IMGW), graciously gave me access to some incredible photographs of Baltic taken right before his rescue:





Unbelievable, right? This last picture is in the author's note in the book, courtesy of the Polish Institute of Meteorology and Water Management (IMGW).

One of my favorite videos about Baltic requires no translation: the images alone capture all the emotion and drama of that day.


22 comments:

  1. I am so thrilled you've created this book. What a tribute to the little(big) dog lost and the Polish crew who had so much heart and compassion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in tears..that is amazing, Mônica! I cannot wait to have my very own signed copy. Are you taking orders?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing story and luckily with an happy ending!! Marry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete