Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Spotlight on Books and Illustrators

A bunny and a piglet, painting side by side, wish they were just like the other. In an attempt to look like their friend, they each try to change their colors, ears, noses and tails (in very creative and fun ways), until finally realizing they do indeed like themselves just the way they are.

Using fluid, spontaneous line work, Canadian artist Geneviève Côté creates a pair of loving, playful and adorable characters. With a touch of color against a mostly white background, she keeps the illustrations fresh and simple. According to the book, the artwork is rendered in mixed media – it seems like a combination of color pencil, watercolor and digital illustration. The end result is a delightful story about friendship and individuality that both children and adults can enjoy.

Published by Kids Can Press, it's now available at libraries and bookstores!

4 comments:

  1. I can't wait until Savannah is old enough for me to read all of the childrens books you recommend!
    This one looks really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this delightful illustration with us, Monica! I'm going to have a good look at Genevieve's website when I get the chance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Monica, thanks so much for sharing this little book. I'm trying to get a copy of it. I love the cover. I even went to her web page and her work is awesome. thanks again for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like a cute book and charming illustrations...however I prefer your illustration style - which I think is a better version of this :)

    ReplyDelete